The First Baptist Church of Stamping Ground was at one time a part of the famous traveling church that came to Kentucky from Virginia before the Civil War in 1781. The black people came as slaves with their owners and were among
the first additions to the church membership. In 1807 there were seventy-five black members out of a
total membership of 305. During that
time black ministers were permitted to preach at certain times if there was not a visiting white preacher who wanted to preach. The black members were also permitted to hold separate services twice a month.
In 1855 a vote to for a new church was made and unanimously passed. Making all black church goers full members of the new church.
In 1906 the church building was destroyed by a fire. In 1974 the Church was effected by the Super Outbreak of tornados. This outbreak was the second-largest tornado outbreak on record for a single 24-hour period. It was also the most violent tornado outbreak ever recorded, with 30 F4/F5 tornadoes confirmed. With the help of Mennonite brothers from Ohio, and thirty-five members of the congregation the present modernistic brick edifice was completing it in late 1975.
-Alice Monie Anderson,"History of the First Baptist Church, Stamping Ground," The American Baptist, Jan. 4, 1974 (Louisville, The General Association of the Colored Baptists of Kentucky), p.30